|Owner:||Diocese of Pueblo|
|Architect:||James H. Gardner|
|General Contractor:||H.W. Houston Construction Co.|
|Construction Period:||Feb 1999 - Oct 1999|
|LEED® Rating:||Not Applicable|
|Description:||When Our Lady of the Meadows Parish was built in 1982 it was built with no narthex nor ambulatory from portal to seating. By 1996, it was apparent that an expansion was needed to address the church’s 450 seat nave, 100 sf vesting sacristy and was in need of ADA accessibility and restroom facilities.|
In 1998, design began on a 1600 sf interior welcome space as well as an additional 1,000 sf of wall-railed open exterior plaza directly adjacent to the new space.
Integral to both, symbols of fire were designed with an indoor fireplace and an exterior open fire pit. ADA access through ramps and automatic doorways were addressed as central to the basic design. A large sacristy with ample storage, three restrooms with total accessibility, and a multi-purpose 300 sf “marshalling” room were included. A memorial tower reminiscent of ancient dovecotes was added to visually define the ecclesial nature of the building as well as accommodate local custom of honoring the dead. Glass block bricks with etched memorials on art glass plates created individual “nests” in the tower.
The Arts and Crafts/Prairie School genre’ was chosen to best compliment the existing church. Construction began in February, 1999 and was completed eight months later.